Wheelchair tennis at Antibes Tennis Club
Wheelchair tennis at competition level has been integrated since January 1st 2017 with the FFT under the term Paratennis, whereas before it was affiliated with the Handisport Federation.
Wheelchair tennis is a part of ‘Handisport Antibes méditerranée’
Created more than 40 years ago by Daniel Jeanin (Five times gold medal winner at the Paralympics), HAM is one of the oldest handisport associations in France and is the only one that exists in the Antibes Juan les Pins community.
It is directed by 6 members in the form of an association, including several sporting sections, in which over 60 participants take part.
Practising the sport at hobby or competition level helps handicapped people reintegrate into society and is part of their mental and physical recovery process after a “life changing” accident. That is why for 40 years HAM’s vocation has always been multi-sport, so that as many handicapped people as possible can practise a sport.
- President : Mathieu De Cillia
- Vice-President : François Heyraud
- Treasurer: Jacques Saulay
Antibes is the first club in France in terms of the number of licensed paratennis players with 17, 15 of whom play competitively, and a champion who is ranked 35th in the world. The club number one is David Dalmasso, N° 5 in France who was selected for the world cup in 2018. Three players Mathieu de Cillia, Caroline Cléaz-Savoyen et Laurence Maisonnave are coached by Patrick Labazuy at the centre of excellence of the French Federation of Tennis and train at the CNE at Roland Garros
Hard courts are specifically reserved and permit regular training sessions in the evening. Wheelchair tennis is evolving on the Padel court with a Handi-Padel tournament.
Sporting objectives 2017/2018
- Four Antibes players are currently on on the way to qualifying for the final phases of the individual French championships which take place in July 2018 => the objective is at least 3 medals
- The running of the 22nd ITF (International Tennis Federation) tournament from May 31st until July 3rd 2018
- The Antibes first team is qualified for the final phases of the French Championships which will be played at Marseille from April 24th until the 28th. Objective => Bronze Medal
- Participation in the ITF Open tournament in France
- Continue to improve the level under the watchful eye of ‘Coach Lawrence’ who has made a strong commitment to Wheelchair tennis.
Letter to address to : HAM - 330 avenue Jules Grec - 06600 Antibes